The original dates for the national fit for all week was May 4th-10th 2020.
The 2020 FitForAll week is set to take place from the 12th – 18th October 2020.
The week is aimed at increasing awareness among people with disabilities, their families/carers and disability services on the benefits of regular exercise, healthy lifestyles and opportunities to participate within the local community. FitForAll also aims to increase awareness and build the capacity of leisure & fitness professionals in providing accessible programmes and facilities within their local community.
We are inviting leisure centres, fitness facilities both public and private, community halls, professional trainers etc. across Ireland to open up their centres and invite individuals with disabilities to participate within their programmes. Cara are work closely with the Sport Ireland Local Sport Partnership network enabling local contacts and advice at county level and with Ireland Active to promote inclusive fitness across the country.
Leisure centres and fitness professionals interested in participating in the FitForAll week are encouraged to register their centre details at www.caracentre.ie/fitforall Participating centres can review their current programmes with a view of promoting activities to people with disabilities or in the case where no suitable programmes exist review the possibilities of developing new activities.
Centres and professionals that sign up to the FitForAll week will receive support from Cara and their local Sport Inclusion Disability Officer to facilitate the process of inclusion and promotion to people with disabilities.
What you need to do:
- Register your Centre: Log onto our website www.caracentre.ie/events/fit-for-all and register your centre details and contact for the week. Your centre will appear on our Fit For All map.
- Connect with your Local Sports Partnership: Your local sports partnership (LSP) and or Sports Inclusion Disability officer will be provided with the necessary tools to help you promote the event locally and target local disability services and individuals. A national database for the week will be generated which will include the number of participating centres and the range of activities on offer.
- Sign the Sport Inclusion Disability Charter: As part of the 2020 programme we are encouraging all participating centres to sign up to and commit to the Sport Inclusion Disability Charter which was launched in 2018. The Charter clearly outlines the five key areas people with disabilities are asking all organisations to consider in making active and healthy lifestyles possible for them which include; Openness, People, Activities, Facilities & Promotion. Log on to our website https://caracentre.ie/sport-inclusion-disability-charter/ and register your centre details. On-going support & resources will be provided to centres who sign the charter.
- Promote Each LSP will receive an information pack that will contain flyers and promotional material for each of their registered leisure centre/fitness facilities and fitness professionals in their county. Your local contact will ensure you receive these.
- Deliver: Participating centres can review their current programmes with a view of promoting activities to people with disabilities or in the case where no suitable programmes exist review the possibilities of developing new activities.
- Feedback: Participating centres are expected to provide feedback to Cara using the template provided on their experiences of participating in Fit For All 2020.
The National Fit For All week will be promoted nationally in conjunction with Sport Ireland and Ireland Active.
For more information please contact Odhrán Doherty, National Sport Inclusion Coordinator, Cara.
Tel: 01-6251143 or 086-0212325
Funded by Dormant Accounts