Generate an idea to help in the return to Sport and Physical Activity during and after COVID-19
Join in the Global Design Hackathon for sport and physical activity with universal design or adapted physical activity solutions.
What is the Global Design Challenge for Sport and Physical Activity?
- The Global Design Challenge is an event which gives participants the unique opportunity to find solutions to the challenges faced in sport and physical activity as a result of Covid-19.
- We invite teams to take part in a FREE contest to find the best ideas, globally.
- The Global Design Challenge for Sport and Physical Activity is set in the context of the UN Sustainable Development Goals following the Kazan Action Plan (2017):
- Developing a comprehensive vision of inclusive access for all to sport, physical education and physical activity
- Maximising the contributions of sport to sustainable development and peace
- Protecting the integrity of sport
- Team Entries: The event will take place over the weekend of 26th – 28th June 2020. Teams will work together to develop their ideas and submit them online on Devpost to Global Design Challenge for Sport and Physical Activity
- Judging: An international panel of judges will filter the entries to select the top 50 and then carry out a refined selection of the 15 best entries.
- Scoring: Entries will be scored under the following criteria:
- originality/creativity (20%);
- innovation (20%);
- analytical skills (10%);
- strategic thinking (20%)
- practical implementation (20%)
- alignment with the UN Sustainable Development Goals (10%).
- Pitching: The 15 winning teams will be invited to “pitch” their ideas to a group of sports organisations, investors, and other experts who will assess how to turn the ideas into reality.
- Incubation: Teams that are successful at pitching stage will be provided with an opportunity to incubate and develop their idea.
- Matching: All entries submitted will be visible to the Organisers, who may initiate further interaction with any team to explore the possibility of developing their idea.
Who is involved and who can enter?
- The challenge is being run by a network of sporting organisations in Ireland and internationally: UCC Sport, Sport Ireland, Cork Local Sports Partnership, Cappanlea National Centre for Outdoor Education and Training, and the Federation of Irish Sport, International Sport and Culture Organisation (ISCA), The Association for International Sport for All (TAFISA), TACTHUB, APO Group, The Rugby Site, Sport for Life Canada, EUPEA, CEREPS, AIESEP, UNESCO Chair for Physical Activity and Health in Educational Settings (University of Basel, Switzerland), and UNESCO Chair in Inclusive Sport, (IT Tralee, Ireland), with the support of UNESCO and Devpost.
- The challenge is open to anyone around the world who has a passion for sport, physical activity, or just likes a challenge. There is no limit to the number of members in a team. The more diverse the background, skills and expertise in the team the better. The team member registering must be aged 18 or over. Individuals can register and use the Devpost site to link with potential partners to form a team.
All registered teams will receive FREE support:
- They will be invited to a preliminary one-hour FREE Workshop on Design Thinking led by internationally recognised expert, Dr Fiona Chambers of University College Cork, Ireland.
- Judie Russell, Founder and Mobile Video Coach at The Vidacademy, will provide FREE learning resources to help teams to design their pitch.
- You can gain access to these videos in the “To Do” section of this page.
When does the event take place?
- Teams will have 72 hours to generate and submit their ideas, from the 26th to 28th of June. Once all ideas are submitted the judging and matching process will take place.
What about Intellectual Property?
- All right and title to any Intellectual Property contained in an entry rests with the submitting team.
How can we keep up to date with news on the event?
- Further details can be found at Sport Ireland:www.sportireland.ie/participation/design-challenge-2020
Updates will be posted in the “Updates” section of this site, and you can also keep up to date by following our social media feeds.
Originally posted on https://global-design-challenge.devpost.com/ with more details from the site.